The Perfect Mid-Week Meal For Busy Home Cooks
In our house, this is one of those staples we’ll prepare once or twice a month because it’s so easy to make, provides a balanced meal and everyone enjoys it. It’s also very adaptable and depending on what you have on hand, you can substitute ingredients to make it your own.
We like chicken thighs but you could substitute legs. I don’t think I’ve made this with breast meat, but if I did, I would be sure to use bone in breasts and be careful not to overcook them or they will be too dry.
My oldest girl likes black olives so we always throw a handful of them in, potatoes, onions, garlic and/or whatever else you might have in the refrigerator.
We’ve added carrots, leeks, fennel, Brussels sprouts and they all add to the dish. What’s especially delicious about this dish is the crispy skin that’s seasoned with salt, pepper and any additional seasoning you may happen to enjoy.
Simple Roasted Chicken Thighs and Vegetables Recipe
For the Tomatoes
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- spray olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF
- Line a roasting pan or backing pan with aluminum foil. You don't need the foil for the recipe to work and some of you may say it's not necessary but we find it helps with clean up and that's always a good thing.
- Spray the foil with a little olive oil and add your chicken thighs skin side up.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. If you have some other favorite seasonings, add them too.
- In a large bowl, add the onions, potatoes and any other vegetables you're going to roast with the chicken. Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and coat the vegetables. Place these veggies on the tray with chicken in one layer.
- Add the olives and put the baking pan in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
- If I have cherry tomatoes, I might just cut them in half and roast them with the chicken and other vegetable. Instead, I cut the fresh tomatoes in half, placed them in a baking dish that I greased the bottom with butter. I sprayed the tomatoes with a little spray olive oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper.
- Again, get as creative as you like here. You may want to season with some fresh herbs - basil, cilantro, chives, thyme to name a few.
- The tomatoes take 30 minutes in the 375ºF oven so add them when the chicken is half done.