How to Prepare a Unique Version of Sweet & Sour Sauce
This is not your classic Asian sweet and sour sauce using soy sauce as a base. This version features demi glace as the base with sugar for sweetness and vinegar for the sour. It also calls for capers for a salty component.
Capers are the bud of bush indigenous to the Mediterranean. They add a briny and piquant dimension to food.
They’re a little salty so take this into account when seasoning. Nonpareil capers from southern France are considered the best.
Best Served With: Steaks – Veal Chops – Sweetbreads
Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
- In a small saucepan, whisk the sugar and vinegar together over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar caramelizes, constantly stirring.
- Add the white wine and whisk vigorously for a few seconds.
- Add the shallots, bring to a boil and reduce by one third.
- Whisk in the demi-glace.
- Add the raisins and capers.
- Reduce until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
My Top Choice for Demi GlaceThere are several really good commercial Demi Glace products available now to home cooks. One of my favorites is Demi Glace Gold and it is available at a good price at Amazon. It is a bit more expensive than some of the other brands but that's because it is All-natural, no chemicals, non-GMO, no preservatives, no MSG, and no fillers. I've been using this product for more than 20 years for my sauces, soups, stews and stocks and think you will enjoy it too.