Here’s a simple Corn Relish Recipe you can prepare and serve with chips or as an accompaniment to grilled fish, hamburgers, sausages. It also works great as a condiment in tacos and burritos.
Sweet Corn Relish
- 3 ears corn fresh & sweet
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- Start by husking the corn and removing all the fine silky threads.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds with your finger. Chop them up into uniform sized pieces.
- Chop the onion up finely and gather up the rest of the ingredients to have ready.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add a pinch of salt and cook the corn for approximately 2 minutes. Drain and remove the kernels from the cob using a paring knife or a small chefs knife. Be careful not to cut yourself. I like to cut the stem end so the corncob will sit flat on the cutting board and slice from top to bottom.There are also some kitchen gadgets on the market to remove the corn from the cob that you may want to try. You can read about them at my How to Grill Corn page.
- Once you have all the kernels off, combine them with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix everything together. Taste and adjust seasoning with the salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. This should make about 3 cups of relish and can last in the fridge for up to 5 days.